Plants & Pets

Houseplants are an important part of the household but our pets are an important member of the family. If you're worried about your cat or dog getting a little to inquisitive when it comes to your next plant addition the first option would be positioning it out of reach. If your not sure you have a spot to keep it away from their paws, here's a list of the plants to avoid. These are intended as a guide only so check with your vet for their expert advice. Here's some in particular to avoid.


Great for sunburn, not so great for cats or dogs. Aloes contain anthraquinone glycosides which are purgatives and when ingested, they can result in vomiting and diarrhoea.


If you want to keep this popular trailing plant in your home, hang it up high out of reach from your pets. Signs of ingestion can be noticeable immediately.


Also referred to as Sansevieria, when ingested by pets, it can result in gastrointestinal signs like drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea


This plant brings everything but peace to your pets. Instead it will bring on vomiting, oral pain, drooling and a loss of appetite.


Compounds such as psoralen, or ficusin, found in the sap of the rubber tree and weeping fig tree (Ficus benjamina) can attack the DNA in cells.


Most common species is Syngonium podophyllum. The plant contains calcium oxalate in its sap, which is harmful if contacted or ingested.


An excellent climbing plant that can be grown without sun, golden pothos (Epipremnum pinnatum) contains insoluble calcium oxalates that can cause mild clinical symptoms if chewed by your dog.


Beautiful English ivy is one of the best plants you can grow in the shade, even indoors. But the plant must not be ingested as it contains a toxin called saponins.


Philodendrons are mildly toxic, they contain calcium oxalate crystals, which trigger clinical problems after ingestion.

Some options to consider:

Peperomia, Boston fern, Calathea Varieties,Spider plant, grape ivy, nerve plant (fittonia). Remember to check with your vet for expert advice